wild seed crackers
Seeds aren’t just good for birds, they are also a really healthy and delicious snack for us. They are a great source of fibre and contain lots of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants that help to reduce blood sugar and blood pressure.
This recipe is super-fast and easy to do and makes a tasty snack that can be enjoyed with some delicious cheese or simply on their own, with some parmesan or herbs sprinkled on the top.
3 mugs of mixed seeds
Water to cover
Add fennel seeds for a hint of liquorice or chilli flakes for warmth. Mustard seeds or onion seeds add colour textured taste and sunflower seeds are packed full of nutrients too.
For a slightly different topping you could sprinkle some rosemary or parmesan on the top of the crackers before they go into the oven or maybe some Himalayan salt?
you will need:
A baking tray
- Heat an oven to 180°C.
- Add mixed seeds to a bowl and add enough water to cover.
- Leave for 1-2 hours to soak.
- When the seeds are soaked they for a gelatinous kind of syrup (if you use chai seeds they make it slightly slimier).
- Spread the mixture onto of the baking paper on the baking tray and then smooth out to a thin layer across the paper
- Sprinkle a topping of your choice or leave “naked”
- Put into a hot oven for approx 30 mins or until slightly browned and all of the moisture has evaporated.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Cut or break into pieces or shards and store in an airtight container until you are ready to enjoy them.